Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Black-Eyed Susan

The Black-Eyed Susan grows in my yard every year - does it grow in yours? I absolutely loves this wildflower and it is so easy to grow and every year it comes back bigger and better. Not only does it add great color to my yard I am able to take its seeds and make lots of new plants.
There are many varieties of Black-Eyed Susan, but most of us know the common Yellow and Brown Center variety.


Some quick facts for you: The Black-Eyed Susan is the state flower of Maryland. When cut, they have a vase life of 6 to 10 days. And they Reseed The botanic name for Black Eyed Susan is Rudbeckia Named after Olaus Olai Rudbeck (1660- 1740) a Swedish physician and botanist. And while black eyed is simple - the plants have a black eye - none of my resources tell me who Susan was. :-) Snails, slugs, and aphids eat the leaves of this plant. Rabbits and deer eat the entire plant.

So if you are looking to grow a Beautiful flower in your yard this year then check out my page on The Black Eyed Susan and you will find all the resources you need on care to buying the seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment